Youth In Action (February 22 – 24) is celebrating its tenth year of service! Like Diocesan Council, this event has become a time of reunion, renewal, and youth business. That business is joining us and reaching out to our community in love, as the hands and feet of Jesus Christ. Together we can walk in the way of love.
How To Sign Up for Youth In Action 2019:
- Youth registration for Youth in Action 2019 ($35)
- Sponsor registration for Youth in Action 2019 ($35)
- Packing List and Schedule (see below)
- Each church must send 1 sponsor per 5 youth
- Adult sponsors will provide transportation for youth during the weekend
- Payment is required at time of registration ($35 per person)
- ALL sponsor and youth forms must be submitted by Monday, February 18, 2019
An automatic email with your receipt will be sent from the Episcopal Diocese of West Texas after your registration is completed. From that email, click “View detailed receipt in your browser” link underneath “Amount Paid” to view your receipt. The person who completes the form and pays will be listed on the receipt, in the Attendees block under “1First Name” etc.; however, in our records we mark that the youth will be attending, and not the parent. Scroll further down, and you will see the youth information is closer to the bottom of your receipt.
Online registration is open from December 22, 2018 through February 18, 2019. Email Katie Young for registration help, and availability after Feb. 18th.
If you are helping youth or sponsors from your church sign up, contact the diocesan offices (210/888-824-5387) for printable forms to help collect their information. All youth must have a parent or guardian’s signature on their medical and release forms.
Who should attend:
All students in 6th through 12th grade are invited to attend as well as adult youth workers and volunteers. REMEMBER: Each church must provide chaperones that can be present at Youth In Action the entire weekend (cannot be participating in Council) for the youth from their congregation. All chaperones must have completed the Safeguarding God’s Children course in the Diocese of West Texas or Diocese of Texas in the last five years and have his or her own vehicle to aid in transporting students.
[Ratio of youth per sponsor = 5:1]
Location & Contacts:
The hosting congregation for YIA 2019 is St. John’s Episcopal Church in McAllen (2500 N 10th St; McAllen, TX 78501). Primary Contacts are Susan Turlapati from St. John’s (email@example.com) OR Katie Young from the Camps & Conferences Department (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Required Forms to be submitted by 5:00 PM on Monday, February 18:
- YIA Liability Release Agreement – Youth
- YIA Medical Release Form Youth and Sponsor
- (with back and front of insurance card)
- DWTX Volunteer Driver Form – Sponsor only
- Sponsors are expected to transport the youth from their church to Youth In Action and to the Mission Project on Saturday. Drivers must complete the DWTX Volunteer Driver Form and submit with copy of driver’s license and car insurance.
- All forms must be returned by:
- Email to: email@example.com
- Fax to: (210) 824-2164; Attn: Youth In Action
What to bring:
- The Comfort House – a nonprofit ministry providing end-of-life care to people no matter “their age, race, ethnicity, religion, social status, or ability to pay, taking care of loved ones as if they are their own.”Youth will help with outdoor painting and lawn work at the home in McAllen.
- Emily’s Meals, A Helping Hand – an ecumenical homeless ministry that prepares and delivers 50 meals a day to people living without shelter in McAllen.
Youth will help sort and organize donated food in their warehouse.
The service projects for Youth In Action 2019 will be varied. As projects are confirmed, they will be announced through this website.
Follow the Email Subscription instructions on the left side of this page to receive automatic YIA and Council 2019 updates in your inbox or bookmark this page (council-dwtx.org/youth-in-action) for future reference.
- Friday – February 22, 2019
- 7:00 – 8:00 PM – Arrival, Check-In & Dinner
- 8:00 PM – Welcome
- 8:15 PM – Worship
- 9:00 – 11:30 PM Fun, fun, fun
- 12:00 (midnight) – Lights Out
- Saturday – February 23, 2019
- 7:00 AM– Rise and shine, eat your breakfast, pack lunches, and get going!
- 9:00 AM- Morning Prayer Commissioning on the floor of Council; let’s show our delegates and clergy who we are and what we are about!
- 9:30 AM- On to mission projects at various sites
- 4:00 PM- Return to Church, clean up from a hard day’s work
- 6:30 PM – Dinner
- Sunday – February 24, 2019
- 7:30 AM – Get up, get ready, get packed
- 8:00 AM – Attend Church
- Hit the Road
“Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” (Eph. 5:1-2)