Pre-Council meetings begin on Sunday, January 21, with the first at St. Philip’s in Beeville. Both bishops and the diocesan team will be at each of the 7 Pre-Council meetings. Be sure to mark your convocation’s on your calendar, and we’ll see you there.
All Pre-Council meetings, with the exception of Beeville, will include dinner. Beeville begins at 4:00 p.m.; the others begin with dinner at 6:00, followed by the presentation at 6:45.
- January 21 – Eastern Convocation at St. Philip’s, Beeville, at 4:00 p.m.
- January 22 – Western Convocation at St. Philip’s, Uvalde, at 6:00 p.m. Dinner will be served.
- January 25 – Northeastern Convocation at St. Mark’s, San Marcos, at 6:00 p.m. Dinner will be served.
- January 28 – Valley Convocation at St. Peter St. Paul, Mission, at 6:00 p.m. Dinner will be served.
- January 29 – Southern Convocation at St. Mark’s, Corpus Christi, at 6:00 p.m. Dinner will be served.
- February 1 – Northern Convocation at St. Peter’s, Kerrville, at 6:00 p.m. Dinner will be served.
- February 5 – Central Convocation at St. George, San Antonio, at 6:00 p.m. Dinner will be served.
Pre-Council meetings are essential to a delegate’s preparation for Council. Many details of the diocesan budget, which Council is responsible for establishing, will be presented at Pre-Council meetings and not be repeated on the floor of Council. Several other important pieces of information that will be taken up at Council will be distributed at Pre-Council meetings.
Is open for business!
The 114th Diocesan Council will be held February 22 – 24, 2018 at the Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos Hotel and Conference Center. For the first time three churches are coming together to serve as your hosts: Church of the Resurrection, Windcrest; St. Andrew’s, Seguin; and St. Margaret’s, San Antonio. The website is now being updated as new information becomes available. Of current interest are the following pages:
Hotels – We return to the Embassy Suites in San Marcos with a block of 250 rooms for the Thursday and Friday nights of Council. There are three additional hotels serving as overflow. Details for online and phone reservations are here.
Pre-Council Meetings – The seven annual Pre-Council convocational meetings have been set with dates, times and locations here. For those in the Eastern or Central convocations notice your new time!
Mark your calendars, reserve your hotel rooms, and send your recommendations for those in your church who are willing to help lead our diocese in 2018. For a look back at Council 2017, spend a few minutes at www.council-dwtx.org with the videos, audios, and pictures from last February.
The last of three discernment forums held across the diocese, this two-hour video presents the seven potential nominees for Bishop Suffragan of the Episcopal Diocese of West Texas. Each potential nominee has a 3-minute opening statement and a 3-minute summation. In addition, each is asked three randomly selected questions with a 3-minute response. The election for Bishop Suffragan will be held on February 25, 2017 at Diocesan Council in Corpus Christi, Texas.
Did you see the banner “wall” created by the Host Committee and displayed in Selena Auditorium during Eucharist at Council 2013? Well, here it is!
And this year, Council 2017 planners will be recreating this beautiful backdrop for our Worship on Thursday evening of Council, but we need your banner NOW!
Please bring your congregation’s banner to one of the Discernment Forum/PreCouncil meetings the weekend of January 28 – 29, 2017. Diocesan staff will deliver them to Council.
Pre-Council Meetings / Discernment Forums
Harlingen, Corpus Christi, and San Antonio
January 28-29, 2017
There will only be three Pre-Council meetings this year, all during the weekend of January 28-29, 2017. These three meetings will focus on Discernment Forums to afford voting delegates and clergy the opportunity to hear from the potential nominees for Bishop Suffragan in person. Don’t miss this important event in the life of the diocese.
The members of the Diocese have the opportunity to submit topics and questions to possibly be addressed by potential nominees during these forums. E-mail suggestions to email@example.com by December 31.
Diocesan Council 2017 will be held February 23 – 25, 2017 at the AmericanBank CENTER in Corpus Christi, and hosted by Church of the Good Shepherd. The website, http://www.Council-dwtx.org, is now being updated as new information becomes available. Of current interest are the following pages:
- Hotel – “Episcopal Diocesan Council Meeting” has a block of 400 rooms for the Thursday and Friday nights of Council at the Omni Corpus Christi Hotel. Please accurately anticipate your needs and make your reservations as early as possible. Details for online or phone reservations are here.
- Nominations – The 2017 Nominations Instruction Packet PDF format has been sent by e-mail to churchofficelist on August 23, 2016 and is available here. Nominations will be accepted through Nov. 1, 2016.
- Bishop Suffragan Election – Information and timeline for the Bishop Suffragan Election to be held on the Saturday of Council is available here.
- Discernment Forums (PreCouncil) – The Discernment Process for a new Bishop Suffragan includes three Forums that will replace the seven annual convocational Pre-council meetings for 2017. Dates, times and locations here. Please add this important event to your church calendar.
New Agenda Details – Banquet on Thursday, Worship on Friday
The St. Alban’s, Harlingen host committee is hard at work in hopes of making this the best Council ever. And their favorite idea for Council is to begin with a party! The Agenda of Events now reflects some of their personal touches. With the Banquet on Thursday, our Council Eucharist will fall on Friday evening beginning at 6:00 pm. As churches begin planning parish dinners at McAllen restaurants on Friday night we recommend an arrival time between 7:30 – 8:00 pm. For all mission and small congregations, good news! Holy Spirit, San Antonio is hosting your Friday evening dinner again, so watch for details coming soon.
Only 119 rooms available in Hotels with diocesan room blocks.
- Courtyard Marriott (New Listing) – 20 double bed rooms available at $109
- Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham – 12 rooms available at $129
- Drury Suites – 23 suites available at $109 or $119, plus 23 standard rooms (2 Queens) at $94
- Casa De Palmas Renaissance – 26 king or 2-double rooms at $119
- Springhill Suites – 15 king rooms at $109
- DoubleTree by Hilton – SOLD OUT
Go to the Hotel page for detail information on these Council hotels.
Central Convocation PreCouncil Meeting . . .
. . . will be SUNDAY, January 31, 2015 at Church of the Resurrection, Windcrest. This PreCouncil meeting was incorrectly listed as Monday, January 31, 2015.
Go to the PreCouncil page for detail information.
Nominations for Diocesan offices close November 1, 2015. Please submit your recommendations now!
Believe it or not Council 2016 is right around the corner, and the host committee from St. Alban’s, Harlingen has started their plans. Council will take place at the McAllen Convention Center beginning on Thursday, Feb 18 and concluding at noon on Saturday, Feb 20.
Much of this website has been updated. It has a new look that features audio or video presentations and pictures from our events. Already on the website find information on:
- Double Tree Suites (formally Embassy Suites)
- Casa De Palmas Renaissance Hotel
- Spring Hill Suites by Marriott
- Drury Suites (Available Soon)
PreCouncil Meeting dates and locations
Nomination Information Packets will be mailed soon, but you can review qualifications and current elected members now.
So mark your calendars, reserve your hotel rooms, and begin to think who might help lead our diocese in 2016. For a look back at Council 2015, spend a few minutes at www.council-dwtx.org with the videos, audios, and pictures from last February.
Not quite “Next Year”, but the planning is well underway. Council 2014 will return to the Embassy Suites Hotel, Spa and Conference Center at 1001 E. McCarty Lane, San Marcos, TX. Point of reference, right next door to Tangers Outlets! For those who attended Council 2011, you’ll remember we arrived on Thursday morning and didn’t need our cars again until Saturday afternoon.
We will be welcomed by the people who are St. Mark’s, San Marcos. They are already finalizing plans for the activities of Council including exhibits, luncheons and the banquet. You can expect some great shopping opportunities, Texas hospitality and outstanding menus all in a wonderful venue. The business of Council opens at 1:00 pm on Thursday Feb 20, 2014. Don’t be late!
Details will be added to this website as they develop. But for now, pages just updated are:
Now it’s time for you to begin your plans. Make your hotel reservations, mark the calendar for your PreCouncil meeting date, and consider nominating someone to serve at the diocesan level.