On February 25, 2017, all canonically resident clergy in the diocese and duly elected delegates and alternates from each congregation of the diocese will gather for the election a Bishop Suffragan during the 113th Diocesan Council in Corpus Christi, Texas.
For complete information on the Nomination Process visit the diocesan website at http://www.dwtx.org/calendar-events/bishop-suffragan/.
PreCouncil and Discernment Forums will be held in three locations the last weekend in January 2017. See complete information on the Discernment Forums (PreCouncil) page.
Bishop Suffragan Election Timeline
- February 18-20, 2016: At the 112th Diocesan Council, Bishop Lillibridge called for the election of the Bishop Suffragan. Bishop Lillibridge also formally announced his intention to retire effective July 1, 2017. The Standing Committee submitted the proposed resolution with a timetable to delegates (adopted).
- March-May, 2016: Consents to hold an election are sought from Standing Committees and Bishops with jurisdiction in The Episcopal Church.
- July 1-September 30, 2016: Potential nominees’ names are received.
- December 1, 2016: Potential nominees are announced. Responses and biographical information are published for all delegates and clergy.
- December 31, 2016: This is the deadline for Council delegates and clergy to submit proposed questions for the candidates to email@example.com.
- January, 2017: Candidates speak at Discernment Forums.
- Saturday, January 28, at St. Alban’s, Harlingen, from 9:00 a.m. to noon
- Saturday, January 28, at Good Shepherd, Corpus Christi, from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- Sunday, January 29, at TMI – The Episcopal School of Texas in San Antonio from 3:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- At least one Discernment Forum will be recorded and placed online for those who cannot attend a live forum.
- February 25, 2017: Bishop Suffragan is elected at the 113th Diocesan Council in Corpus Christi.
- July 29, 2017: The Bishop Suffragan is consecrated at TMI – The Episcopal School of Texas in San Antonio.