Calling All Super Heroes!
Friday, February 22, 2013
On-line Registration Opens Thursday, December 20, 2012
- Youth registration for Youth in Action
- (NOTE to PARENTS: On the e-mailed receipt from the Episcopal Diocese of West Texas click the “View detailed receipt in your browser” link underneath “Amount Paid.” The parent completing the form will be listed in the Attendees block under”1First Name” etc. We collect information on Parent1 and Parent2. Look toward the bottom of your receipt and the youth information is listed. In our records we know the youth will be attending, not the parent.)
- Sponsor registration for Youth in Action (Ratio 1 sponsor for every 5 youth)
- Payment is required at the time of registration
- And the event is expected to fill quickly!
- DEADLINE Sunday, February 17, 2013
Each year just gets better and better!
Youth in Action enters its fifth year of service. Like Diocesan Council, this event has become a time of reunion, renewal and the business of the youth. And that business is, mission work! Want to download a flyer to advertize? Go to the bottom of this page.
Who should attend:
All students in 6th through 12th grade are invited to attend along with adult youth workers and volunteers. NOTE: Churches provide their own chaperones who are available the entire weekend (cannot be participating in Council), and each chaperone must have his or her own vehicle to aid in transporting students. Ratio 5:1.
Location & Contacts:
Headquarters for Youth in Action will be at Church of the Good Shepherd, 700 S Upper Broadway St, Corpus Christi, TX 78401. Primary Contacts: Scott Parnell, Youth Minister at email@example.com OR Brian Kates, Camp Capers Program Director at Brian.Kates@dwtx.org.
We will be working at the Ronald McDonald House (RMcD) and Cliff Maus Village (CMV) (an apartment complex owned by the Episcopal Churches in the coastal bend area.) At RMcD, we’ll be deep cleaning their facility so that the families staying there will have a freshly cleaned room to stay in. At CMV, we’ll be doing service projects to help beautify the facility for all the residents who live there.
- Friday – February 22, 2013
7:00 – 8:00 pm – Arrival and Check-in
8:00 pm – Welcome
8:15 pm – Worship
9:00 – 11:30 pm – Movie “Batman Begins”
12:00 midnight – Lights Out
- Saturday – February 23, 2013
7:00 am – Rise and shine, eat your breakfast, pack lunches, and get going!
8:30 am - Morning Prayer and Commissioning
9:00 am – On to mission projects
4:00 pm – Return to Church
6:30 pm – Dinner
Evening of Biffers (game) Worship, Small Group Debrief and Hangin’ out
- Sunday – February 24, 2013
8:00 am – Get up, get ready, get packed and go to church
10:30 am – Worship
12:00 noon – Head for Home
Youth leaders and volunteers click here for more detailed Agenda & Listing of Forms needed for Leaders.
What should you bring?
- Work clothes *see note below
- Closed-toe Work Shoes
- “Sunday Dress” for church
- GOOD Work Gloves
- Sleeping bag, bedding (twin air mattress), pillow and towel
- Personal toiletries
- Worksite Clothing Guidelines: Please make sure you are modestly dressed when at the worksite. Depending on the temperatures in Corpus, it can be tempting to wear more summer attire. We ask that you do not wear short shorts (this includes Nike shorts) or sleeveless/low cut shirts while at our work projects. You do not want to be attracting that sort of attention to yourself. Wear jeans and a loose fitting t-shirt and then you don’t have to worry!
Click here for complete Packing List.
What we need from you –
- Youth groups need adult sponsors (5-1 ratio) AND transportation for the weekend
- On line Registration completed with $35 payment, DEADLINE 2/17/13.
- For Youth, three REQUIRED forms Medical Release Form, Liability Release and Community Covenant. Please give these to your sponsor, who will fax, mail/e-mail to Church of the Good Shepherd by the DEADLINE 2/17/13.
- For Chaperones, two REQUIRED forms Liability Release and Drivers Liability to be faxed, mailed/e-mailed to Church of the Good Shepherd by the DEADLINE 2/17/13.
- From Congregations, List of youth participants and chaperones (broken down by gender), DEADLINE 2/17/13
- From Congregations, List of medications/allergies of youth, DEADLINE 2/17/13
- A MEDICAL RELEASE FORM (with a copy of the front and back of your insurance card).
- A LIABILITY RELEASE FORM
- A COGS COMMUNITY COVENANT
- A COGS VOLUNTEER DRIVER FORM
Check back often for more information. Or signup for the Council 2013 blog “Entries” RSS feed and be notified when changes are made to this website.
Posters, Posters, Posters. Take your pick.
Like the YIA event, they are all great!
Download a PDF file of the “WORD” poster or click .jpg above.
Download a PDF file of the “SKYLINE” poster or click .jpg above.
Download a PDF file of the “BATMAN” poster or click .jpg above.