Youth In Action 2016 – We want YOU to say YES!
“I used to think you had to be special for God to use you,
but now I know you simply need to say YES.”
– Bob Goff, speaker for the Bishop’s Luncheon during Council 2016
and author of Love Does.
On-line Registration Is Open until February 15
- Youth registration for Youth in Action
- Sponsor registration for Youth in Action (Ratio 1 sponsor for every 5 youth)
- Payment is required at the time of registration
- The event is expected to fill quickly with room for 75 youth and 25 sponsors
- DEADLINE Monday, February 15, 2016
- NOTE to PARENTS: On the e-mailed receipt from the Episcopal Diocese of West Texas click the “View detailed receipt in your browser” link underneath “Amount Paid.” The parent completing the form will be listed in the Attendees block under “1First Name” etc. We collect information on Parent1 and Parent2. Look toward the bottom of your receipt and the youth information is listed. In our records we know the youth will be attending, not the parent.)
Love Does . . . Youth in Action
Youth In Action is entering its seventh year of service. Like Diocesan Council, this event has become a time of reunion, renewal, and youth business. That business is joining us and saying yes to service. Because as Bob Goff says, “love doesn’t just keep thinking about it or planning for it…Love does!”
Who should attend:
All students in 6th through 12th grade are invited to attend as well as adult youth workers and volunteers. NOTE: Each church will provide chaperons that are available the entire weekend (cannot be participating in Council) for their youth. Each chaperon must have completed the Safeguarding God’s Children course in the last five years and have his or her own vehicle to aid in transporting students. [Ratio, 5:1]
Location & Contacts:
Headquarters for Youth in Action will be at St. John’s Episcopal Church (2500 N. 10th Street; McAllen, TX 78501). Primary Contacts are Jonathan Medina, Youth Minister at St. Alban’s, Harlingen (email@example.com), the Rev. Rod Clark, Assistant Rector at St. Alban’s, Harlingen (firstname.lastname@example.org), OR Meredith Rogers, Camp Caper’s Program Director at email@example.com.
Required Forms to be submitted by February 8:
- YIA Liability Release Agreement – Youth only
- YIA Medical Release Form Youth and Sponsor
- (with back and front of insurance card)
- DWTX Volunteer Driver Form – Sponsor only
- All forms must be returned by February 8, 2016 by:
- Email to: Laura.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax to: Diocesan Offices attn: Laura Kean at 210.824.2164
- Mail to: Diocese of West Texas, PO Box 6885, San Antonio, TX 78209 ATTN: Youth in Action
What to bring:
In the Diocese of West Texas, the congregations and missions in the Valley Convocation work constantly with a variety of ministries in the area. This means that the work projects for Youth In Action 2016 will be varied. You can find your passion in any of them! Some of us will visit La Posada House and assist with a work project on site alongside residents of the shelter. Other volunteers will work with the Food Bank of the Rio Grande Valley, Inc. and help them to feed our neighbors. In addition we will send many of our volunteers to assist in cleaning Camp Red, a youth camp in the Rio Grande Valley with a growing program. Our work there will help to create change and enhance their ability to impact lives.
- For a printable copy of this information click here.
- Check back often for the latest information on developing mission projects.
- Friday – February 19, 2016
- 7:00 – 8:00 pm – Arrival and Check-in
- 8:00 pm – Welcome
- 8:15 pm – Worship
- 9:00 – 11:30 pm Fun, fun, fun
- 12:00 midnight – Lights Out
- Saturday – February 20, 2016
- 7:00 am – Rise and shine, eat your breakfast, pack lunches, and get going!
- 9:00 am – Morning Prayer and Commissioning on the floor of Council – Let’s show those adults who we are!
- 9:30 am – On to mission projects at various sites
- 4:00 pm – Return to Church
- 6:30 pm – Dinner
- Sunday – February 21, 2016
- 8:00 am – Get up, get ready, get packed and go to church
- 11:00 am – Worship
- 12:30 pm – Head for Home